History of Selma University
Selma University was founded in 1878, with such noted men as the Reverends William H. McAlpine, James A. Foster and R. Murrell leading the effort. The purpose was for preparation of better leaders for the church and schoolroom. At a meeting in Mobile , Alabama in 1874, the first trustees were elected - they were C. O. Booth, Alexander Butler, William H. McAlpine, Holland Thompson and H. J. Europe. The school opened four years later in 1878, in the Saint Phillips Street Baptist Church of Selma. The Saint Phillip Street Baptist Church later became the First Baptist Church . The Convention voted to locate the school in Selma in 1877.
In 1881, the school was incorporated by an act of the legislature under the name of Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School of Selma. On May 14, 1908 , the name was officially changed to Selma University .
The Women's Baptist State Convention was organized in 1886 and built a girls' dormitory in 1889. This dormitory was named Stone Hall in honor of Miss Susie Stone.
The Dinkins Memorial Chapel was completed in 1904. It was named in honor of Reverend C. S. Dinkins, one of the presidents of the school. This building was rebuilt in 1921 after having been destroyed by fire. It was renovated in 1980.
Foster Hall was built in 1910, and named in honor of Miss Susie C. Foster, president of the Women's Convention at the time of its construction.
Cleveland Hall was built in 1948 and was named in honor of M. C. Cleveland, Sr. The building contained materials that were taken from the Vickers Home and the Old Arcade Hotel in Selma .
Gibbs Dining Hall was constructed in 1953 and named after Mrs. Henrietta M. Gibbs.
The Stone-Robinson Library was erected in 1960 and named for Miss Susie Stone, Secretary of the Women's Convention and Reverend U. J. Robinson, President of the Alabama State Missionary Baptist Convention.
The Jemison-Owens Auditorium/Gymnasium was completed in 1966. This building was named in honor of Reverend D. V. Jemison, who was President of the Convention, and Dr. James H. Owens, President of the school at the time of its construction.
The Hood-Ware Dormitory for men and the Jackson-Wilson Dormitory for women were completed in 1970. The A.W. Wilson Science and Computer Hall was completed in 1979.
In 1988, the science complex was expanded with the addition of an annex that houses an auditorium, several instructional laboratories, and two computer facilities, with offices for faculty. The computer-equipped writing laboratory in Dinkins Hall, the mathematics laboratory in the Science addition, (completed in 1989) and the expanded library facility which houses a center for audiovisual instruction and computer-aided self-study (completed in 1990) are the most recent improvement on campus.
In the late eighties, Selma University developed from a four-year bachelor program in Religion and two year liberal arts program to a four-year institution. In the Fall of 2000, Selma University began its transformation from a Christian liberal arts college to a Bible college. In February 2001, Selma University received applicant status and in February 2005 the school received candidate status with the Commission on Accreditation of the Association for Biblical Higher Education in Orlando , Florida . On February 20, 2009 , Selma University received Initial Accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of the Association for Biblical Higher Education in Canada and the United States.
Selma University Mission Statement
Selma University's mission is to prepare men and women for Christian ministry and Christian living in the modern world based on the example of Jesus Christ. As a Christian Bible college, Selma University seeks to stimulate its students spiritually, intellectually and socially and to produce graduates who are servant leaders in their churches, communities and chosen areas of vocation.
In an effort to fulfill its mission, Selma University is committed to achieving the following goals:
• Preparing scholarly and faithful leaders, both clergy and lay in congregations and public and private institutions.
• Creating communities of academic inquiry and providing theological and other resources within the school and beyond.
• Creating a Christ-centered environment that is both spiritual and academic, which enables students to develop ethical character during their academic endeavor and in the future.
• Selma University is owned and supported by the Alabama State Missionary Baptist Convention, Inc. Hence, the college accepts its particular responsibility to its black constituency in the state of Alabama, to the Selma Community, and to the Black Belt region of the State.